Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Kolhapuri Kombdi

I have always loved chicken and toned down the spices and the heat after marraige because hubby dear does not do well with very hot dishes .

Lately however my taste buds were craving something HOT,something spicy that makes me reach out for that glass of water and so I had to look around for a recipe which uses something other than the usual onion, tomato, ginger and garlic ..that gives it a kick ..

I landed this recipe for Kolhapuri chicken also called Kolhapuri kombdi (chicken's called Kombdi in the western Indian state of Maharashtra) cooked with lots of hot dry red chillies to sharpen the tastebuds.Needless to say this dish delivered and was well loved ..even by diserning audience such as my hubby who shies away from such concoctions.While the roasted poppy,sesame and coconut added the "x" factor , the chilli powder gave it that KICK ...

This is a chicken dish I definitely recommend ..

You need :
8 medium sized pieces of chicken (I use chicken drumsticks)
1 cup( browned onions
2 tablespoon(s) each of sesame and poppy seeds dry roasted
2 tablespoon(s) grated coconut roasted till dry
½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
1 tablespoon(s) each of ginger, garlic pastes
4 medium onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon(s) red chilli powder (please tone that down if u wish)
2 large tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoon(s) coriander leaves finely chopped
2 tablespoon(s) oil
salt to taste
finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing

This is how you make it :

Make slits on the chicken pieces.In a bowl make a marinade out of half of the ginger-garlic paste,turmeric powder and salt to taste.Rub this marinade into the chicken pieces very well and allow to marinate for about an hour. Meanwhile ,grind together the browned onions, roasted coconut, sesame and poppy seeds to a paste.

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan till hot. Add the chopped onions and fry for a few seconds. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the onions are browned. Add the red chilli powder and fry.Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry on medium heat till the fat separates from the sides of the pan.Add the chicken pieces and fry on high heat for for about 2 minute.

Now,add the ground paste, water and sprinkle salt to taste and mix well. Bring to a boil. Stir in the garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.Cover and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes or till the chicken is fully tenderised.

Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.Enjoy with nan , roti or rice .

14 comments:

Mandira said...

The chicken looks delicious Meenal. Yummy...Thanks for sharing

Meenal Mehta said...

hey mandira,

thanks for visiting ..it was my first time cooking it and I loved the taste ...I will try this again for sure .

happy new yr to you

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Kolhapuri Chicken goes well with Bhakari.

Meenal Mehta said...

harekrishnaji,

thanks for visiting..shall keep that in mind:)

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

In kolhapur, the preparations are made in two types of gravi. Pandhara (white) Rassa and Tambada (Red)Rassa.

anyway I am pure veg. Onion / garlic not prohibited

Meenal Mehta said...

yeah I have read about that:) thanks harekrishnaji

Kay said...

Meenal! welcome again! Glad to hear that all is well with you and congrats on completing your Masters..

Looking forward to read about your wonderful spread... May this new year bring tons of joy to you and your family!

Meenal Mehta said...

Hey Kay,

thankyou very much.wish you and your family the same:)

Unknown said...

Meenal,

Tried your recipe over the weekend..It turns out pretty good.
I am from kolhapur we make goat curry with similar recipe ..never tried cooking chicken this way..

Vijay

Dr. Naaz said...

Dear Meenal,

The recipe turned out to be delicious and mouth watering.

I used my own recipe of garam masala.....

Can you tell me what garam masala do you use? I think with yours the dish will be perfect.

Please send the recipe of garam masala to naazsk@gmail.com

Gaurav S said...

I just cooked it.I love spicy food, so I made it real spicy. It was amazing.

Meenal Mehta said...

That's fantastic Vijay , Iam glad it turned out well

Meenal Mehta said...

Dr . Naaz,

Iam happy to know that the recipe turned out well. I mostly use store bought Garam masala :)What's your recipe if I may ask?

Meenal Mehta said...

hey Gaurav,

good to know:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...