Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Upma

Sorry folks ..No post for almost 2 weeks . I was busy and then I was sick .Now Iam feeling much better and raring to go . For those of you , who cared to ask , thanks a ton :)

The recipe I post today was something I was hoping to enter into Meenakshi's " From my rasoi - breakfast series" but could not because I was sick last week and couldnt make the deadline on time . Meenakshi of "Hooked on Heat" fame has been doing a great job and I hope to enter her feb series .

Today's recipe is Upma .Like all dishes upma, has a history behind it .It originated in the South of India and is mighty popular there .Called "Upma" in tamil ,"Uppindi" in Telugu and "Uppittu" in Kannada , its basically a wholesome indian dish made of Wheat Rava or sooji(also called semolina) .There are so many different ways to prepare Upma.

Indeed, every south Indian woman will impart a small difference in flavour when making her Upma. This variation is obtained by varying or emphasising some particular spice, thereby making for variation. Apart from rava,upma is widely made with vermicelli and cous-cous also. These dishes are sometimes not regarded as being Upma, and are known in many regions by other names.

Upma used to be one of the many sunday breakfast items my ma used to make when I was back in India .Sunday breakfasts were always special and elaborate.recently I made upma and my mind jsut went back to those good ole times when I used to watch my ma fiddling with her pots and pans , spices ...........a bit of this , a bit of that ..some stirr and whoosh ....recipe upon delicious recipe appeared in front of me.She made it effortless , as simple as brushing your teeth and unknowingly instilled a love of cooking in me . Let me start with the recipe before I go mushy on you guys and start uttering gibberish :-)

You need
Sooji - upma Rava 1 Cup
Ginger 1 " inch piece chopped
finelyChilies red or Green 2 Nos
Onion medium size 1 chopped
Boiled peas- 1/2 cup
Chopped carrots -1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil 4 tbsp.
Water 2 Cups

For Seasoning
Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Hing 1 pinch
dry red chillies 2
Curry leaves few.

This is how you cook it
Dry roast sooji in 2 tablespoon oil for few minutes & keep aside.Take care not to brown it .
Heat oil in the same pan & add the seasoning.
Add chilies, ginger & Onion ,fry till translucent.Then add chopped carrots and boiled peas .Cover the pan with a lid for atleast 5-10 minutes while the carrots soften and cook
Add salt,water & let it come to boil at whichpoint add the sooji gradually.
Keep stirring& take care as not to form lumps.
Simmer the stove,cover & let it cook for 5 minutes.
Switch off the stove. Your upma is ready .& Serve hot with a steaming cup of tea or coffee.

What a delicious beginning to a day .Try it .




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Really good one! I like the pic too. It is nicely taken. Food looks yumm.

Hahaha! You have been tagged!

aparna said...

ei, aamio tag korechi toke. :)

sailu said...

That pic looks good,Meenal ..upma with veggies in it.

Ashwini said...

good to have you back Meenal. and great post!

Meenal Mehta said...

thanks sudip,

the upma came out very well , on eof my brakfast favorites ..remember calling up ma for the recipe :) . I modified it though

Meenal Mehta said...

hain aparna ,

dekhlam,,post korbo, kaimon achsish:)

Meenal Mehta said...

hey sailu,

thanks :)

Meenal Mehta said...

hey ashwini ,

thanks:) am glad to be back

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Meenal. Hope you feel a lot better!

Thanks fo rthe mention, I do hope you participate in this month's romantic theme :o)

Please update your link to my blog to show my new domain - www.hookedonheat.com

Take care!

Meenal Mehta said...

hey Meena ,

yes Iam better now :)

I will participate in this months theme .

i will update your link

Pallavi said...

I loved the pics.. yeah devilled eggs and aloo tikki goes down well with my friends too.. liked thelook of the sheek .. :)

And I hate upma... hahahah !! but the pic looks delightful

Anonymous said...

Meenal :D 1tsp hing!! God help us.
http://kaktose.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Great! Thanks for the recipe... Just finished making the upma... Looks great... Smells great.. Have not tasted it till now, i dont know if i will be alive after eating that :P (kidding), so i thought i would comment first. Just to tell that 1 tsp of hing is too much. 1 pinch should be enough...

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely! I often add a pinch of turmeric to upma, just to give it a lovely colour. I have some pictures on my blog, if you are interested: http://mangosoup.blogspot.com/2009/08/semolina-upma.html

Good Paediatrician in Velachery said...

just made this dish…mmmm wow! delicious food. wonderful

Good Paediatrician in Velachery said...

Amazing Breakfast.. I like the way you arrange(decorate) all the food.. I will try cooking Upma tommorow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...